Our lives are shaped by our habits. And procrastination is a habit as well.
Do any of the following phrases sound familiar to you?
|“I work better under pressure.”|
|“I still have plenty of time.”|
|“I will get to it when I feel more in the zone.”|
No need to worry. We’ve all been there at some point in our lives. At times, it may be very tempting to delay things forever. But if you can identify the reasons for such stalling, you can stop procrastination in its tracks. I’ve recently completed an amazing course presented by Brenda Bailey Hughes on procrastination on LinkedIn Learning. And I’d like to share some of her suggestions with you.
First, make a list of all the things you have been continuously putting off. Then, try to ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you dislike the task? – No one particularly likes to fill out tax returns. Nevertheless, they must be completed. Try dividing the task into small chunks and reward yourself as you reach your milestones.
- Do you lack confidence or experience? – Can you consult an expert in the field? Can you read more about the topic to gain more experience?
- Are you finding it difficult to concentrate? – Can you minimize the distractions around you? Have you tried turning phone notifications off?
- Are you burnt out or overwhelmed? – Try giving yourself and your brain a break by meditation or mindfulness exercises.
- Is your creativity blocked? – Mindfulness exercises may give you another boost in this area.
Once you identify the root causes that push you towards procrastinating, you will be one step closer to getting things done. Asking the above-mentioned questions will help you search and identify efficient strategies. They may help you prioritize the tasks on your to-do list and take the necessary action to tackle each one of them on time.
Dear Reader, did you find this article useful? If yes, I’d really appreciate it if you could share the link with your network. I donate £5.00 to Acqua Chiara Congo Association for every 100 views that this post receives. Thank you:)